Saturday, February 7, 2009

At Last, Posters.

It's no secret that I am a big fan of the Harry Potter series. I joined in the frustration of millions when Warner Brothers announced that they were postponing the release of the next film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, by a staggering eight months. Along with a delayed film came delayed releases of everything from the teaser trailer to the international trailer to the movie's posters. On February 5, movie posters for the Half-Blood Prince were dispersed across the Internet. Have a look:


Continuing the theme established by Chamber of Secrets, these posters depict only one character in a pose that suggests something about them or something they will go through in the upcoming film. They are monochromatic with a cool, blue-green cast, similar to the Order of the Phoenix posters.

Overall, I think they are nice posters. The slanted logo and title are welcome changes to the usual template. You'll notice Dumbledore's reflection in Harry's glasses in the first poster. It's a nice touch if you overlook the fact that it's the same image from the third poster Photoshopped into the frames. I'm not sure what's going on around them. Is it raining? I'm pretty sure the scene depicted in these posters takes place in May so it's not snow. There are a few minor continuity issues (Dumbledore's hand not being charred and black or the continuing absence of Harry's iconic scar) but I won't sit here and nit pic.

I've always had a problem with labeling movie sequels with numbers. It comes off as lazy and uncreative. "HP6" isn't so bad because we all know it comes from a book with it's own, unique name. It still strikes me as odd that they would start labeling the films this way all of a sudden.

I'm anxious to see if they release posters featuring Draco Malfoy and Severus Snape as they both play big roles in the next part of the story. In the mean time, I'll continue to wait patiently with the rest of the fans for a film that is now 86 days overdue.

Let me know your thoughts about the posters in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment